Saturday 19 March 2011

My 24 Mile 'Run For Japan'


MY RUN FOR JAPAN
Another hard night-shift, 3 hours in bed and it was time to get ready to RUN!
I left poor Tess at home as I blasted off to Parbold on my bike, sorry Tess but I've not got a helmet to fit you and you'd most probably jump off at the first cat you saw on our travels!

I met Paul at Parbold, I wasn't to sure how far he was running, as he'd been complaining of calf and knee pains!
We set off on a very hilly route, taking in Stony Lane, Hunters Hill, Ashurst Beacon, Crank Hill and back up the side of Ashurst Beacon before a downhill finish to Parbold.
Paul managed the first two climbs well and when he reached the top of the two mile Ashurst Beacon climb I was half expecting him to turn for home, but he was having none of it and pressed on for the very steep Crank hill .
The final hill up the side of Ashurst with its mini Alpine hairpin bends used up the last of Paul's flagging energy.
He told me to leave him to his misery, so I blasted off to the top then turned around to go back for him.
Once at the top I gave him my only gel, I didn't use any gels or water on this run, yet still felt OK at the end!
We finished with 24 miles on the Garmin, our longest run this year.
The downhills should really help strengthen our legs for the pounding of the marathon and I was really amazed by Paul's run!
I entered my run on RUN FOR JAPAN and paid my donation, so come on guys get out running for 'RUN FOR JAPAN ' and help a people in need of your help!
Doing the run for a good cause made it seem so much more worthwhile!
Thanks to Paul for the company and chat:]
Forgot to start my Garmin at the start so add 5 mins to Data GARMIN MAP

RUN FOR JAPAN
CLICK HERE AND DONATE


4 comments:

Ewen said...

Thanks for spreading the word Rick. Amazing how it's taken off. Need Ryan Hall to get on board in the States.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

I gave him a tweet, but doubt he will read it!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

No I meant; I doubt he will see it!

Samurai Running said...

Yes well done Rick!

While its great that various countries are donating so much, as are the big names of entertainment and sport etc but it's the individual donations like yours that really touch the people here!

I was at a local gethering of runners doing a little charity run of our own and everyone is aware how much support they are getting from overseas and know about this "Run for Japan" initiative.

Everyone was so friendly and cheerful toward me, much more than usual, I think they were a little taken back that normal people from other countries would care and I was getting the brunt of their appreciation.

I was being thanked and smiled at all day like I was "Bill Gates" running down the road throwing hand fulls of money in all directions. Never been patted on the back so much before ;)

So know that your hard earned is going to really make a difference!

By the way if you want Ryan to read your emails just write in CAPITAL LETTERS and sign off using "GOD"! ;)