Thursday 13 January 2011

Marius Bakken Training; Running in the Zones

Today was a rest day from running, but I did do a Trigger point Performance workout as I do every day of the week.
I guess this following article may be of only interest to M.B.s growing band of you following the 100 day marathon plan.
I asked Marius for more detaled info on how to train in the different work effort zones.
"Hi Marius,
When training at the different work levels should one try and stay at the upper level of each zone; ie in the 2.45 plan Level 3 is from Marathon to 1/2 marathon pace, so I guess what I'm asking will best results be had by staying at the upper level of each zone or should you go by feel ie on a good day hold the upper level of each zone, but if say you feel a big tired stay closer to the lower level of each zone?"

Answer: Hi Rick, excellent question!

My advice is this : on most days (the "average day"), start at the lower end of the zone and work yourself up - and then from about half way through stay in the higher end stable for the remaining of the workouts. On "tired days" you can stay in the lower end the whole session and maybe only push a bit up in the last 5-10 minutes. Now, if you feel great a particular day -usually identified with running fast AND getting heart rate fast up without any effort - then stay flat at the higher end the whole session. I've tested this with lactate testing and this makes it the most accurate in terms of actual lactate on the blood tests.

I wish you all the best with your training, Marius

2:18 AM

5 comments:

Grellan said...

With yourself and Scott among the the fastest marathoners I know, certainly in blogland, Marius Bakken's Training is sounding very enticing.

Marathon Training Schedule Scott said...

Hi Rick,
I have read a lot about Haile's approach to this. He listens to his body. We all have biorhythms and should work with them rather than against, on great days push it and on your tired days take it a little easier.

Samurai Running said...

Good to know this thanks again Rick and Marius!

And Scott above, as far as "Haile's approach" goes I reckon he could train with the advice of 20 different coaches and still run pretty much the same times! He just has so much natural talent.

Stil I wonder how many "great days" he has a week? Probably, again, more than the rest of us ;)

Ewen said...

Thanks Rick. I reckon that's good advice for pacing on any training runs/sessions. For instance, with my MAF HR training I start out comfortably below MAF HR and gradually edge it up.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Grellan
One of my friends in my running club just signed up for for 100 day plan and another is soon to follow.
Scott
I agree, learning to listen to your body is a key to greater performance and good health.
Scott Brown
I'm sure Geb has bad days too, he just has them at a faster pace than either of us can sprint :]