Tuesday 21 April 2009

Super speed freak 5.00 MILE PACE final coundown London marathon workout



Mike Gratton comes from the hard school of Marathon running, so I have a lot of respect for him and his training program [ so far its worked really well].The final hard session called for 8 x 400m, I got Tracey to join me on the session, we started with 1 mile easy before we headed into the last fast session before London, using the Saxon -Gloucester rd block. We used the first effort as a warm up and went for it in the last 7, I felt pretty good and averaged 12 mph, 5.00 mile pace for the efforts, not bad for an old dog in Marathon training, now its easy,easy, REST!

4 comments:

DocRunner said...

Hi Rick,I've been following your progress for a few months now. You've trained phenomenally hard a deserve to do really well in London. I must admit that I'm getting a bit apprehensive now. My training couldn't have gone better and my time at Trimpell a few weeks ago has given me the confidence to set out at 3:18 pace. My biggest worry is how to handle the 1st few miles if I can't run at my target pace due to the volume of runners. Being 10 minutes behind target by 3 miles would be a nightmare and horribly demotivating.
If you see Paul Cain will you pass on my best wishes? If I don't bump into you at the Expo or before the start, have great race. Run strong.
Simon (Tobin)

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Simon to become a DOCTOR it must have involved a lot of self determination and work! use that in the marathon! believe in your self! you can achieve what you want, just go out and get it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Impressive speed!!

Good luck with the marathon.

Staffan

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Thanks Staffan and Simon,
Simon if you get held up at the start don't panic, you will still get your chip time from when you cross the start line! try and get near the front of your pen and if you lose a minute or two at the start just very slowly peg it back a few seconds each mile.
all the best for Sunday, enjoy!