Wednesday 25 March 2009

20 MILES, THE TOUGHEST RUN!


ILLUSIONS IN THE RAIN!
The weather deteriorated throughout the day, by the time I got out the wind had picked up to a cruel gusting frenzy, and the rain was being driven horizontal, Oh what joy! The plan was for a 20 miler inc the club fartleck session! After one hour of steady running [ 7.08 pace] I met up with the club, the wind and rain had already taken it toll upon me , I was feeling dizzy with dropping blood sugar levels and my exposed legs were feeling the cold! A couple of jelly babies crammed down my throat and we were away! We had a good group considering the dreadful weather, once again Rob was going strong and it took all my efforts to hold him! The final effort was up shore rd, up the hill and back to the village, by now my eyes were irritated by the cold gusting wind and my contact lens was blurring up, that along with the street lights reflecting up off the rain sodden roads, giving me limited vision, there was only one option but to follow the white line at the edge of the road, WE let the slower runners get a lead then Rob and me charged off! I gave it everything, sprinting off then trying to hold pace over the hill, I quick glance at the garmin and I was doing almost 12 mph uphill, as I reached the top I could sense Robs shadow pulling along side as we crested the hill, one final downhill effort and we finish exhausted, side by side! 13.2 miles completed just 7 to go! By now my cycle thermal jacket was weighing heavy on my shoulders as it absorbed every last drop of rain, I ran back with Rob then headed off again in search of the final miles, running up Trafalgar rd hill my energy sapped away, feeling dizzy and light headed!
I felt dazed and confused by the reflecting light off the wet roads, I was feeling bad, really bad now! More jelly babies and within a mile I was slowly coming around and my speed and strength picked up again, 1 mile to go and the road seemed to be going uphill into the heavens, yet I knew this road was flat, it was just an illusion of my glucose starved mind!
On to a final half mile loop, I was running through a dark tunnel, my eyes just focused on the distant light at the end of the road, a final all out effort, up to 10 mph and holding, now the final straight, foot on the gas peddle and I accelerate to 11 mph, finishing a spent, dizzy force! This had been one dam tough night at the office!!! 20.05 miles, max speed 13.1 mph, 7.30 pace, = 2 hours 31 mins

2 comments:

Richard said...

your description of the sugar low is spot on! I think it is useful to experience it a least once in training so late race problems don't scare you in a marathon.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

thanks for comment Richard,
My lesson here was that wind, rain and cold can greatly increase your need for carbs,
You can feel really bad with low blood sugar but can quickly recover by taking in quick release carbs, energy gells, sugary sweets etc.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF HITTING THE WALL IN THE MARATHON,
1/ LOW BLOOD SUGAR WHICH YOU CAN RECOVER FROM.
AND 2, WHERE YOUR MUSCLES HAVE GONE BEYOND THE LIMIT OF WHAT THEY CAN HANDLE, RESULTING IN TORN MUSCLE FIBERS,YOU WILL SLOW DOWN AND ONLY DAYS OF RECOVERY WILL REPAIR THE DAMAGE!