Thursday 4 September 2008

ROAD RELAY WIN!


I ran a 7.5 mile loop before meeting up with the club for Robs session.
Rob told us that we would be running an unofficial club relay, he split us up into teams of two .
ROB and super vet STEVE JAMES, TRACEY AND PAUL and me and STEADY EDDIE.
We were tohttp://www.np.edu.sg/ict/news/PublishingImages/olc/olympic-runner-copyright4.gif run a half mile loop round the Fisherman's rest pub, taking it in turns, each of us would run a total of 6 laps, so each team would cover 6 mile in total.
We set off, rob shooting off like a scolded cat! I dug deep and just about managed to hold him, with a 100m to go i was a few strides behind him, but gave it every thing to sprint up to him at the change over point, now STEVE JAMES and STEADY EDDIE sprinted off with TRACEY just a few yards behind!
We jogged around nervously waiting for our team to come into view, Eddie had put in a fantastic effort and pulled about 5 secs out of Steve, as Eddie came along side me I sprinted off on my second lap, Eddie had got us the psychological advantage, this time I felt the pressure of not wanting to let Eddie down. i tried to relax and felt much better hitting 12 mph on the slight downhill sections, with a 100m to go i sprinted all out, keeping Rob in second place!
At last I got ready for my last lap, Eddie came into view with a good lead, as soon as he came along side I sprinted off, I knew Rob was still a danger and as I reached the last corner I could hear rob's foot steps closing in on me, one final all out sprint and I held our lead over the finish line!
1st team Eddie and me, 2nd rob and steve, 3rd tracey and paul.
i reckon we covered the 6 miles in about 33 mins, It was a great idea of Rob's to hold the relay and turned the interval session into really good fun!
Maybe next time , seeing that we are running the loops starting and finishing at a pub we could have a beer and road running relay, drinking a pint each time we finished a lap, now that really would be interesting! hic!!!
6x 1/2 mile
= 1 hour 45 mins

2 comments:

Thomas said...

An interval session that was good fun. Now that is something I have not come across before!

Grellan said...

Great idea to run relay intervals, rwally spices it up and makes it interesting - especially when you have to down a pint during each recovery.