Monday 21 July 2008

ENDURANCE

I always seem to run at my best when I'm putting in a high mileage. I remember reading that Greg Lemond needed a lot more miles than Sean Kelly to get fit because Sean had more sprinter type muscles than Greg. Well I would not dream to compare myself to a great 3 time Tour De France winner but i think am a real big old diesel engine that seems to go better the more hours I put in, so todays run should do me no end of good! Set off on my normal route over the sandhills to meet up with the guys from the club, Brian got us to do some hill loops in the pinewoods, I held my self back until the last effort because I have the Harrock Hill race on Wednesday, after, I headed back over the big sand dunes inc the infamous big dipper, as I got close to the Royal birkdale club house I found my way blocked by a high fence, I was hoping as the golf open championships had finished on Sunday the paths would by open again, Bummer! i had to retrace my way back and take a long diversion home, by the time i got home I'd been running for 2 hours 37 mins. despite having no energy drinks or tablets I finished feeling pretty good, a good sign I hope. 8 x hills [ efforts up and down the hill] = 2.37

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Thanks for your comment about the use of Garmin in races. It's always reassuring to know that someone else came to the same conclusions.

I'm definitely planning on a Yasso 800 workout before the marathon, but we'll see a) if I can nail the pace and b) if it will be as accurate as last time. In any case, it's a good workout.