Sunday 2 March 2008

trimpell 20 results


I could hear the wind howling outside as i woke up at 7.30am and i thought it would make the race into an awesome challenge!
The out and back course is run along cycle tracks along the lune river between morecambe and lancaster.with todays wind we got blown along up to 12 miles with a dreaded return into a fierce block headwind.

On the start line was Tracey peters, Sam Howard, Mechelle Spencer,and Mike Walker, all running this race as training for THE LONDON MARATHON, there was also Rob Mcgrath and me using this race as a build up for the Blackpool marathon. ROB had missed 3 weeks training with a shin problem and sam was under orders from her coach to run at a steady training pace up to 15 miles before speeding up to her marathon pace for the final 5 miles
I got into a good group as we sped along with the help of the wind on our backs, I got an uneasy feeling that i was going too fast but on the other hand if i held back would i be able to make any time back into the head wind. I decided to hang in with the group hoping that they would give me shelter on the return leg. We hit 10 miles in 1.02 and then turned back round into the wind at twelve. my legs started to feel weak and heavy, I was worried, at 13 miles we went though in 1 hour 20 mins, a minutes later i got blown out of the back of the group and now had to face 6 1/2 miles into a very strong wind. I decided to break the remaining 6 miles down to one mile at a time taking my split times and trying to keep under 7 min miles, each mile got harder, slower and more painfully, HELL this felt more like a full marathon, the cold wind was sapping all my energy away ! it was a massive relief to see the finish line and I was surprised to break the tape in 2.05.08 16th and first vet 45. Rob did an impressive run to finish with 2.07.33 22nd on almost no training ! Mike walker went over the line with a big smile and still looking very fresh with 2.22.50
Tracey Peters longest race before had been the preston ten last november, so we all were highly impressed when she sprinted in with 2.26.18 in fact Tracey had been in front of MIke on the way out but had found the wind on the return very demanding. next in was Sam with 2.31.33 and then Mechelle.
I think most of us found the race incredibly tough, but i/m sure it will do us GOOD ! FULL RESULTS

No comments: